The electricity network company Ellevio is now launching its biggest ever investment in its network. From now until 2019, the company will invest 9 billion to modernise and increase the capacity and security of supply in the network.
– We are taking the responsibility for ensuring that today's, tomorrow's and future customers have a secure electricity supply, says CEO Johan Lindehag.
The investments are spread over Ellevio's network areas in Stockholm, Halland, Bohuslän, Skaraborg, Närke, Värmland, Dalarna, Hälsingland and Gästrikland.
– It is an exciting journey that we have ahead of us. The energy sector is undergoing major changes. We are seeing an increased share of renewable, distributed, weather-dependent electricity production. We are in the middle on an electrification of the transport sector where the electricity network has an important role. Urbanisation and a generally increased dependence by society on having reliable access to electricity are also trends that we need to be keeping abreast of. The network we are building now will ensure that those who live and work in our areas get a reliable electricity supply in the future, says Ellevio's CEO Johan Lindehag.
Since 2006 Ellevio, formerly Fortum Distribution, has invested around 11 billion in strengthening the electricity network and has weatherproofed more than 11,000 km of power lines.
– We are now increasing the pace even more. We are coming close to tripling our annual investment from around one billion per year to three billion per year in the coming years. Electricity is a basic prerequisite for our daily lives and we are seeing an increasing reduction in the acceptance of power outages.
– It also means that the demands on us are increasing. With the investment we are now making, an increasing number of customers in rural areas will get an electricity network that can handle severe weather. For customers in the cities, especially in Stockholm, we are building a network that is both prepared for the continued growth of the city and is also more flexible for future production and consumption, says Johan Lindehag.
The investment includes, among other things:
- Replacing parts of the regional network that functions as a large artery and provides the local networks with electricity.
- Modernising and replacing switchgear and network stations that are important hubs in the network. Very new technology will be installed that will reduce the duration of any downtime for the customer.
- Continue to weatherproof the network in rural areas.
- Connection of new residential, commercial and industrial areas to the network.
At ellevio.se/projekt you can see many of our completed, ongoing and future projects around the country.